From time to time, I've posted sports-themed posts on my other blogs, DiscConnected (music reviews and news) or Back In The USSR (political).

I decided to see if I could give ESPN 8 (The Ocho) a run for their money and started this blog.

I lifted the title from John DeBella's Philadelphia morning radio show back in the eighties.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

NFL BOYCOTT

I was away over the weekend, but saw enough on the Sunday night NFL highlight shows that I thought I could have a post in the making.

I got home from the airport and turned on the TV to this play and all of a sudden the post was writing itself!


At the end of the Seattle Seahawk's 14-12 "win" over the Green Bay Packers, the refs ruled that Seattle WR Golden Tate scored a game-winning touchdown on a simultaneous catch with Green Bay DB M.D. Jennings.

The problem is that the play shouldn't have been ruled a simultaneous catch, it should have been ruled an interception and a touchback

On every angle played on the replay, Jennings clearly had posession, with Tate getting a hand on the ball later.

I'm not Packers fan, but this is clearly a case of the replacement officials' lack of experience deciding the outcome of a game.

See for yourself...


If you watch the replay, you see Jennings alone with posession and down by contact.



The league is obviously not going to expedite the dispute with the striking officials.

So what's a fan to do?

Sadly, Americans are apathetic, and do not realize how much influence they could have on their lives if they were to organize.

Boycott.

Now I know Americans are not strong-willed enough to all not watch football for a weekend, but if from Thursday night through Monday night no TV were tuned to the NFL, no one went to a sports bar and most important, no one showed up at a game, the NFL would take notice.

But I know American won't skip their trips to the bar, and also recognize that the ticket prices are so high that to simply not go is a pretty big budget hit. Plus by not going to the game, the players are punished for the sins of the owners and the league commissioner.

But here is something that would be pretty easy to pull off.

Beer.

Again, I know Americans cannot not drink beer for a weekend (althoiugh wouldn't it be nice to see some discipline among our general population).

But what about this?

Anheuser-Busch and MillerCoors spend a fortune ($134m and $88M last season, respectively) advertising on NFL games.




What if no one in America bought those beer brands from 5pm Eastern on Thursday through 8 am Eastern on Tuesday?

Buy something else to tailgate before the games, and get good and looped so you don't buy a drop in the stadium.

You'll still be drunk and obnoxious in the stands, you'll just have a liquor hangover instead of a beer hangover on Monday morning.

In sports bars and at home, enjoy a local microbrew for a change, or a nice Guinness, and no matter how many Bud Light girls wander through your sports bar in skimpy cheerleader outfits, hold fast.



Do not drink a drop.

I promise you, the beer companies will make sure the league takes notice.

You might learn some things in the process (micro brewed beers taste good, you can make a difference if you're willing to stand up for something, if you're over thirty those bar girls are only flirting with you to sell beer, if you're sober you can actually follow the game).

If you drink less, you might even find yourself able to remember the game without having to watch the highlight show.

.

3 comments:

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

I don't know what everyone's so upset about. It looked like a touchdown to me.

Yuk!-Yuk!-Yuk!

Well, I am definitely with you when it comes to the beer. Sheesh! There are so many excellent microbrewed suds available today that, boycotting or not, there's really no excuse for anyone to still be drinking that piss-colored piss that Budweiser and Miller are touting as "beer". (A minimum wage paycheck is the ONLY excuse I will personally accept as legitimate reason for any beer-drinker to still be drinking Piss 1 or Piss 2.)

Gosh, the Western states are brewing such great beer these days, and even locally, we have the Prescott Brewing Company's 'Ponderosa IPA' available in stores like Sprouts and BevMo. And there's a first-rate ale called 'Hop Knot', brewed in Tempe (I believe) that I've seen in local stores.

Hey, just like the rest of the country, the NFL is going down the tubes, but that's no reason for a person not to dull their senses with better beer!

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'

DiscConnected said...

Stephen-

As you know, I still drink a Bud Light now and then-sometimes I really am in the mood for it.

But I'm a Guiness man as well-one extreme to the other!

How about those replacement refs-from Foot Locker to the NFL overnight!

LC

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

LC ~

>>...As you know, I still drink a Bud Light now and then - sometimes I really am in the mood for it.

Oh, well, I had hoped you "got better".
:-)

>>...from Foot Locker to the NFL overnight!

Ha!-Ha!

In a recent Email to me, Sheboyganboy Six referred to them as "refs from the lingerie league". (If nothing else, this NFL referee situation has inspired some funny comments from people.)

~ D-FensDogg
'Loyal American Underground'