From time to time, I've posted sports-themed posts on my other blogs, DiscConnected (music reviews and news) or Back In The USSR (political).

I decided to see if I could give ESPN 8 (The Ocho) a run for their money and started this blog.

I lifted the title from John DeBella's Philadelphia morning radio show back in the eighties.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

A GOOD DAY TO LIVE STRONG

A couple of months ago I'd posted about the doping scandal surrounding Lance Armstrong and the media pile-on.

I was torn then, because I'd given Armstrong the benefit of the doubt.

I was wrong-he did cheat.





While I certainly do not condone cheating, or even him lying about cheating, there was behavior Armstong exhibited that is even more deplorable.

And I'm not talking abouit him getting in between me and Sheryl Crow (although I really think I had a chance except for the fact that the closest I ever got to her was the lawn seats at Phoenix's Desert Sky Pavillion).

Lance Armstrong went after people who accused him of doping like a mad dog.

He has filed lawsuits for defamation of character and libel, been sued for behavior described as "systemic bullying and harassment," and earned a vicious reputation for going after people who went after him, to the point of  damaging the reputations of people who, as it turns out, were telling the TRUTH.

And last week, Armstrong went on Oprah to "confess."



No one goes to Oprah to confess. They go to Oprah to get all misty-eyed and act contrite and win back the approval of the people.

Lance, you are full of shinola.

I read an interesting post this morning from C'est La Vie discussing whether it was acceptable to support the Livestrong charity, or whether that was simple an attempt by Armstrong to buy himself some respect.



I do believe it is acceptable to separate Armstrong's deplorable behavior from his good behavior, and in fact, even if his involvement in Livestrong was a ploy, Livestrong does some good, so I think people should go on supporting the organization.

No one is all "good" or all "bad."

Well maybe Mother Theresa and Ghandi were all "good."

Maybe Hitler and Saddam Hussein were all "bad."

But Hitler liked dogs. And Saddam's children probably loved him.

Life is not black and white.

You had to know I was going to find a way to justify a Sheryl Crow picture in this post, right?


Sheryl Crow said that it would have been difficult for her ex-fiance, former cycling champion Lance Armstrong, to keep his doping secret any longer.

"I think that honesty is always the best bet and that the truth will set you free," Crow told ET's Nancy O'Dell. The musician told ET she only saw "bits and pieces" of Armstrong's confession interview with Oprah Winfrey. "To carry around a weight like that would be devastating in the long run."

Ms. Crow is right-the confession is a good start, assuming it is truly a confession and not a public relations ploy.




Armstrong has lost a lot.

Of all that he has lost, I believe his integrity is the most precious commodity.

With time, he may be able to win that back.